"The ruins of Kaniakapupu lie in Luakaha, the forested upper portion of Nu‘uanu. It served as the summer retreat of Kamehameha III. Kani-a-ka-pupu ("the singing of the land shell") is considered by some to be the most important site in all Nu‘uanu."   Excerpt from: www.pacificworlds.com





Kaniakapupu Ruins
I had read about these ruins briefly when I first arrived in Oahu but really could not find any solid trail information.  I was able to piece together information from www.pacificworlds.com with some old maps and google earth and was able to find the ruins.  I am sure there is information out there, I just did not find any through my normal research methods.  I will not be posting directions to the site in the event they should not be public.  I will look into it further to determine if it would be appropriate to post directions.



In 1848 at Kaniakapupu, King Kamehameha III made the decision that would allow division of the land to create private property.  To my knowledge, this site has not officially been declared a state or federal landmark and I believe there is a fight to preserve this site.  "It is the only remaining structure associated with King Kamehameha III" (Pacific Worlds).





After hiking through what seemed like a monster maze of bamboo we came to a clearing, there sat quietly and broke down the historic remains.  Amber and I were super excited to see the ruins and stop and ponder a time long ago of Kings, Queens and chiefs and royal feasts.  The ruins are beautiful as well as the area.  I might have had my fill of bamboo on this hike for we did get a little lost on the way back out.  Amber had the right idea to turn back and retrace our foot steps.. do you think I listened, no?  Onward, I thought it was just around the corner, at some point every corner of bamboo looked the same and the difficulty navigating through the bamboo maze did not get easier.  Alas, we found our way out and felt a deep satisfaction to view a special piece of Hawaiian history.





Exploring further on the trails, I did realize that their were two waterfalls on this hike.  The Lulumahu Falls is accessible via permission from the Board of Water Supply.  We did not actually make it to this fall for it was in the opposite direction that we traveled.  But we noted we were only steps away.  We did however come across another waterfall that I have not been able to find much information on, Luakaha Falls.  Which is approximately a 70 ft fall that cascades down to a manicured lawn and garden.  I am trying to determine if you are able to gain access to his falls legally with a permit from the Board of Water Supply or if it is totally off limits and on private property.  As I find out more, I will update this post.  Of course all of this information regarding permits and the like would have been useful before the hike; however, better late than never.



This is a site that I will explore again.  It was an easy hike throughout if you do not count getting lost in the bamboo maze and sliding down steep stream banks.  It was easy for a toddler and we brought our dogs.  Please always remember to carry out what you carry in and pick up your dog's waste.  Respect these trails as you would respect your home so that everyone can enjoy the trails. 









The sign that MD is reading says:





Kaniakapupu

Summer Palace of King Kamehameha III

and his Queen Kalama





Completed in 1845, it was the scene of entertainment

of foreign celebrities the feasting of chiefs and commoners. 



The greatest of these occasions was a luau attended by an estimated ten thousand people celebrating Hawaiian Restoration Day in 1847.









All Content Copyright ©2008 Liisa Roberts Photography and may not be reproduced without expressed written permission.

3 comments

Anonymous said... @ June 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I am so glad I found your website. I really want to try and find the ruins. I am going to try Google Earth and see if that will help me. The problem is that I am going by myself and am leary of hiking into it. Would you advise against that? It doesn't sound like an easy hike and I don't want to get lost.
Thank You,
Kathe

Anonymous said... @ July 1, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Hey thanks for the things you wrote on your site about picking up what you took in on the hike. I am very happy to see outsiders respecting our land and culture. Mahalo.

Liisa Roberts said... @ July 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Kathe,

This is actually a super easy hike. We just went the wrong way from the start. Now that I am a bit more familiar with the area, it was really a straight shot. Super easy hike on a well maintained and easily identifiable trail. Please email me separately if you need more information.

Mahalo!

And not a problem at all for us to pick up after ourselves and even others that do not on the trails! I truly appreciate the beauty of Oahu and the Hawaiian Islands and want to do my part to show my appreciation!

Super Mahalo! I am working in tandem with Little Sprouts Children's Boutique (Kailua, Hi) in order to give back on a larger scale. Look out for details.

Photography with a Conscience and Little Sprouts' one year anniversary

Post a Comment