On our Tuesday hike to the Makapu'u tide pools,  I made several unsuccessful attempts at photographing the movement of the tall grass that was being blown around by the strong wind.  I do believe, however; I was able to capture the wind gusts via another means.  I shot these two images back to back on continuous high in succession.  While shooting, the wind picked up and Luna almost took flight with her ears as sails.  Note:  Luna's ears are floppy ears and always down they don't stand up perky like photo number two, ever.. :)

Makapu'u Tide pool hiking trail. Oahu, Hawaii. 
Makapu'u tide pools broken glass littered on beach. Oahu, Hawaii

This is one of my favorite hikes for my preschooler and my dog.  It is an easy hike for the keiki and dogs.  The trail is nice and wide and pretty flat.  I have no idea of the real distance but it feels to be an easy 2 mile round trip.  One bummer at the tide pools, tons of broken glass.  This is not your worn and tumbled beach glass, but your nice broken glass from bottles that were deliberately broken at the tide pools.   If you want the bright side view, you can use this hike as an opportunity to teach your kids about littering and packing out trash.  Bring a sturdy bag and haul some out on your return.  With that being said, I still call it a favorite hike as the coastal views are beautiful as well as the views of Koko Crater.
Sunblock is a must as the trail is completely exposed. 
*** note that we carried out all the glass we gathered for the photo 
above. 

Directions to Makapu'u Lighthouse Trail:

Travel Instructions: From Honolulu, take H1 east. H1 will become Highway 72 just past Diamond Head. Follow Highway 72 around the island for several miles passing Hanauma Bay and Sandy Beach. Just over a half mile past the Hawaii Kai Golf Course, there will paved road leading to a parking area on your right. This parking lot is the start of the 1.3 mile hike to the top of Makapu`u Head.  Start heading up the trail and right at the welcome sign/trash can/doggie bag station you will see a trail off the paved road to the right.  Follow the main trail all the way down to the coast and follow the coast to the right to access the tide pools.
 


View Larger Map

Back to Hiking/Kayaking list.
 

All Content Copyright ©2009 Liisa Roberts Photography and may not be reproduced without expressed written permission.

2 comments

Karen said... @ November 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I found your post when Googling tide pools. My daughter has a school project so I thought we'd go look at a real one. I love your pictures and the hiking info is useful (we aren't hikers, so knowing what to expect is nice). Thanks for sharing!

Liisa Roberts said... @ November 18, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Thanks Karen! I am glad I could help. Hope you guys have a great time.

~Liisa

Post a Comment