Kapaa Quarry It seems finding time to post a blog entry is getting more difficult as the days go by.  This past Tuesday we organized a posse of parents and kids and headed off to the Kapaa Rock Quarry.  A gigantic thanks to Alli (Outdoor Ohana) for connecting the dots and getting us all together for the rock fun.

We will just say that I was as excited if not more so than MD about this little outing!  I have been reading about tractors and construction vehicles for the past two years not to mention adding to MD's fleet of excavators, backhoe loaders, front loaders, bulldozers,  earth movers, mixer trucks, cranes, drills, etc etc... So for me, it was like a dream nightmare come true!! Haha. No not a nightmare. It was super cool and to see the kids get excited was cool too.  I got some great shots and actually go the ok to schedule a trip back for some more artistic sunrise shots.  I am truly looking forward to that shoot.  There is enough paint peeling, wood, metal, rocks to photograph for years in side the Quarry.   Again, call me crazy,  I think will be beautiful.  There is something about the texture and shadows created by peeling paint.  Another location  I would love to shoot would be old abandoned buildings.  Not an easy task as most are no trespassing, hazardous zones and no telling what or who would be living in some of the more interesting
places I would like to go.  Probably not an adventure that I would take Mikko-Dakota along for the ride. 

Oh.. Back to the quarry.  Linda Goldstein was our very informative, patient and wonderful guide.  She gave us the low down oh the rock quarry's history.  She herself has been an employee for sixteen years and the quarry in operation for forty.   Looking down into the quarry, the excavator and dump trucks looked like tiny matchbox cars but as we descended through forty years of digging and drilling the massive size of the equipment became very apparent.  We learned that the drillers were not drilling and loading the holes with dynamite but actually with.. let's see if I canexcavators and dump trucks remember... Ammonium Nitrate Liquid Super Rocket Secrect Recipe Fuel... I don't think that was it and I probably failed the test but I do believe the Ammonium Nitrate part is correct and I know that they do not use
dynamite.

After Linda guided us through the quarry, we all loaded up the van and headed out to McDonald's to enjoy happy meals, compliments of Linda and her team at Kapaa Quarry.  The kids enjoyed climbing and running amok in the play area.  It was the perfect ending, to the perfect little field trip and just in time for naptime!!!!

~~~~Mahalo Linda and Kapaa Quarry~~~~~
Toddler field trip to Kapaa Rock Quarry in Kailu, Hawaii.

Photos from McDs will be posted later.  Yea, I say this in a lot of my posts but they will eventually show up.. I promise!!  :)




All Content Copyright ©2008 Liisa Roberts Photography and may not be reproduced without expressed written permission.

0 comments

Post a Comment