Yes, you all read correctly.  My three year old gets a birthday week celebration rather than just a one day birthday celebration.  Here is the deal, I believe everyone should take a week or even more to celebrate one's birthday.  If you prescribe to the "we only have one life to live" thought process,  then one day to reflect over the past year and all the changes, people, ideas, hurdles, successes that have come and gone, is simply not enough.  We might mumble and moan and groan on days or just get caught up in the our daily grind but we should remind ourselves that life is a celebration and we all should celebrate it daily.  .  So a birthday week is not so over the top but pretty normal.  Hopefully we all take time to reflect on who it is we are and how we have become who we are over the years.  I hope over time MD will grow to appreciate the tradition of the Birthday Week Celebration.. Well, I have been known to take an entire month of Birthday bliss.. So don't dread your next Bday and think, "oh it is just another year.. I am so old.." Instead, give youself a pat on the back because, hell,  job well done.  You made it this far and probably are doing alright.  

Monday September 29th was MD's actual birthday.  I dropped him off at school like any other normal Monday but ran home and packed a daypack and headed back with a couple balloons.  (Side tracked by getting pulled over by the Hawaii5.0.. thankfully he let me go as he took pity on me for trying to suprise my son on his 3rd bday.  Mahalo Mr. Police)  Before setting off to school to drop MD off I told him to take his little shark and dolphin bath toys with him.  He asked why several times and my response was that they were learning about ocean animals today at school.  So when I arrived back at school to pick him up he was surprised to see me back so soon and also with a couple bday balloons.  He ran over and we headed out.  I asked him if he knew where we were going and he said home.. I told him it was a surprise.  

As we made our way to our surprise destination he began thinking we were heading to a hike that we normally do togethere, Makapu'u Lighthouse.  When I turned before the lighthouse he perked up his head was turning left and right trying to see anything familiar.  When he spotted the honu sculpture and some pictures of dolphins he screamed.  I kidnapped my bday boy from school and took him to Sea Life Park.  What a fun time.  I remember when I was young and my mother showed up at the babysitters house really early one day and I did not understand.  We drove it seemed like forever but she surprised me by taking me to a theme park.  I can not recall the name.  (Mom, when you read this, please post the name and location of the park in the comments section.  Thanks~)  I look back so fondly on that memory cause it was a surprise and because it was super cool just mom and me time. 

I have posted a few photos and will have more from this afternoons Bday celebration at Putt Putt.  









All Content Copyright ©2008 Liisa Roberts Photography and may not be reproduced without expressed written permission.

7 comments

Astralee said... @ October 1, 2008 at 11:55 AM

What a great idea whole week. I am sure he will remember all the things he got to do that week. The park were we spent some mommy and daughter time was Beach Bend Park in Bowling Green Ky. It seems like so long ago but yet it was just like yester day.

Giji said... @ October 1, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Oh Happy Birthday week Mikko Dakota... What an awesome time it is already...yay... looking forward to seeing you two on Sat.

Anonymous said... @ October 1, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Wow... too bad mom didn't subscribe to that philosphy.. :-0

Anonymous said... @ October 1, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Hello sweetness!
Just read through most of your blog, looking at pictures, getting teary and appreciating your vivaciousness all over again for the first time in (it's been too long), years. It's really great to see how gracefully you've transitioned into Mom. It seems you've embarked on that journey I remember talking w/ you about years ago in Louisville, CO. And now, sharing that energy and dream with a kiddo, being a Mom and heroin, to boot. I love you oodles and I can't wait to see you. Brent and I are in Waikoloa from Sat 10/11- Sat 10/18-tying the knot on 10/17, which we'd love for you and MD to be there for.
XOXO, em

lisa said... @ October 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM

I'm so glad we could celebrate with you and MD! I'm totally doing a birthday week for miss iso this year.

josesilk said... @ October 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Liisa! You are awesome. I really wish that I was in a position to spend more time with you, Brian, and Mikko-Dakota. Seeing the photographs you take, the way you write, the small handful of times we've got to spend together - they make me want to know you all that much more! I'm hella excited to have someone like you not only in our family, but in my life.

Especially because I'm in a position of being a father, raising a child (Rachel's daughter, Marin), I see and read the things that you do with Mikko-Dakota and your all-around philosophy on life (such as the "Birthday Week") and think to myself, "That's the kind of parent and person I want to be to Marin." Sometimes the idea of raising a child can be daunting to me - thinking about the future and its uncertainties and the like - but it's so wonderful to see someone like you being a parent by just being so genuinely themselves and so connected to their child, not to mention nature and the world as a whole.

But, I'm rambling. What I'm trying to say is that you encourage me and make me excited to be a parent and, well, a person. Thank you.

Anonymous said... @ October 9, 2008 at 9:10 PM

This come so late:
Happy birthday week to Mikko Dakota!!!!
Rebecka, Indrek, Sandra and Sofia

Post a Comment